Make your meetings matter
With meeting facilitation from Burk Moreland
CORPORATE AND NON-PROFIT
During the next meeting you are in, estimate the hourly rates for the people in the room and add them up. Depending on the size of the meeting, you could get to a large number very quickly. Meetings are a huge investment; the returns should be huge as well.
HERE ARE A FEW SIMPLE QUESTIONS TO HELP YOU
DETERMINE IF THAT INVESTMENT CREATED VALUE
- What is the purpose of the meeting? (Are you having a meeting because that is what you are supposed to do?)
- Is everyone in the meeting involved in the discussion? If not, why are they there?
- Is this a show of power or a collaboration of minds to achieve a goal?
- Have you set parameters for the meeting and stuck to them?
- Is the time being used efficiently and effectively? (Does every second have value to every person in the room?)
Burk’s meeting facilitation begins by helping the leaders determine if a meeting is needed, when it should be, where it should be, how it should be formatted, and who and what needs to be at the meeting.
While at the meeting, Burk masterfully facilitates the flow of ideas and the time. He spurs people to participate and assures that the group achieves the outlined goal in the time allotted.
- Participants feel that they have been heard, even when their ideas are not exactly on topic.
- Leaders feel that a clear plan is achieved, with ownership of action items and timetables.
- Participants gain clarity, focus and new awareness.
Typical meetings create frustration and waste time and money. Having a professional meeting facilitator allows you to avoid the usual pitfalls:
- Lack of goals for the meeting in the first place
- Goose chases – pursuing discussion that is unproductive
- Repetitive points and comments
- Lack of time management
- Lack of workable results and outcomes
- Disinterest of participants
At the Board of Directors Strategic Planning meeting, we brought in Burk Moreland to facilitate our discussion of goals to move the Chamber forward. We came up with two main objectives of ‘Improving the Member Experience’ and ‘Improving Economic Development of Evergreen’. With those in mind, Burk guided our group through a process that went from high level objectives down to very tangible and granular goals that we are now committed to moving forward.
Guiding 20 people with differing opinions to common objectives is very difficult, but we covered more than expected in a short time frame and had better engagement than we have ever seen. The Chamber would definitely recommend Burk to you and your business to help set clear goals and get an action plan for moving forward.
Lin Browning · President / CEO
Evergreen Area Chamber of Commerce